Subclass 186 - Employer Nominated Permanent Residence Visa
The Employer Nomination Scheme visa subclass 186 is for skilled workers who want to work and reside in Australia on a permanent basis.
The visa has two parts:
- a nomination by an approved Australian employer
- an application completed by the visa applicant
The visa has three streams:
- The Temporary Residence Transition stream is for subclass 457 visa holders who have worked for two years, while holding a subclass 457 visa, in the same occupation with their nominating employer (who has lodged a valid nomination with us under the Temporary Residence Transition stream), who wants to offer them a permanent position in that occupation.
- The Direct Entry stream is for people who have been nominated by their employer under the Direct Entry stream:
- who have never, or only briefly, worked in Australia, or
- who are temporary residents that have not worked for their sponsoring employer for more than 2 years (for applications lodged before March 2018)
- The Agreement stream is for people sponsored by an employer through a labour agreement.
The visa applicant must:
- have been nominated by an approved Australian employer for an occupation listed on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
- be within the approved age limit
- meet the skills, qualifications and English language requirements, unless exempt
- apply under the correct stream – see above
The visa is a permanent visa which then allows the applicant a pathway to citizenship in the future.